IN EXTRA DIMENSION: Skinfinish Highlighter Review, Swatches, Photos
April 18, 2012 § 24 Comments
A liquid-powder highlighter with prismatic reflections that sculpts, highlights and models the face. The cool, creamy near-fluid formula creates a luminous, well-defined finish. Wears 10 hours.
EXTRA DIMENSION: HIGHLIGHTER SKINFINISH
Release Date: April 5, 2012 / April 2012 (International) Available at MAC Cosmetics
| Whisper of Gilt | Light Soft White with Shimmery Sheen | $29 US, $34 CAD | Limited Edition | 9g
I’d describe this as a soft, white-gold sheen. It’s light and bright, but the subtle goldness makes it warm enough so that it doesn’t look unnatural on the skin. On my skin, because it’s such a light shade, it was a little too bright for my tastes. I didn’t hate it on me, but I definitely prefer how this looks on fairer skin, especially if you have an NC skintone.
| Superb | Soft Peach Nude with Multi-dimensional Shimmer | $29 US, $34 CAD | Limited Edition | 9g
I’d say this is a light, silvery sheen with a slightly pink cast to it for added warmth. If you like Soft & Gentle Mineralize Skinfinish, then you will love Superb. It has the same lovely reflective quality, but none of the glitter. It’s all sheen baby! I definitely think this will suit the most skin tones out of all 3 of these skinfinishes. On me, it was far too silvery for my warm skin, and thus completely unflattering. But I can see this being stunning on NC42/NW35 (maybe NW40) skintones and below. Call me crazy, but with a light application (“light” as in dab it on with your ring finger!), I think it could serve as a flattering highlight on deep cocoa skin with blue undertones.
| Glorify | Copper with Golden Shimmer | $29 US, $34 CAD | Limited Edition | 9g
Before I begin, I’m reviewing this product as a “highlighter” which is how MAC describes it.
Thanks to the coppery undertone, this is a very warm, rich, golden shimmer. I can’t quite call this a “sheen” because it seems slightly more sparkly looking on the skin than either Whisper of Gilt or Superb. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a VERY subtle shimmer, but I still noticed it. Think of this as a glitter-free version of Gold Deposit Mineralize Skinfinish. It definitely gives an amazing highlighted, shimmery effect to deeper brown skin in the NC50/NW45+ range. Since it’s such a deep golden shade, if you are around the NC35-45/NW35-40, it will work beautifully as a glowy bronzer on you, instead of a highlight. As a highlighter, I found it looked best when applied softly versus packing it on.
* Gives that sexy, glowy sheen without any distracting glitter or sparkle.
* The liquid-like texture is to die for. It’s crazy silky which lets it glide on top of the skin with zero effort.
* Again, the creamy texture means no fallout. Yes, please. Though it can easily move along the skin for blending purposes, it still allows for precise placement on the face if you desire.
* Getting that perfectly highlighted effect requires very little product
* These can be used wet for a more intensified colour payoff
* I really loved the 3D product design! I liked that the design and product name go hand in hand.
* This is not an overspray product (Marine Life Highlight powder, anyone?). The color, texture, and sheen/shimmer are consistent all the way throughout the product.
* According to MAC, none of these are safe for the lip or eye area.
I really love that everybody can wear at least one of these products as a highlighter. The range of shades means that there is something here for every skintone. Because of this reason, no matter how light, dark, warm, or cool you are, these skinfinishes get my BrownGirlFriendly stamp of approval. The texture is impeccable and since you only need a minuscule amount of product, you get a lot of bang for your buck. Check them out in person if you can!
Available at MAC Cosmetics
I swatched all of these on my face with only Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Deep Dark as my base. Here is my starting point:
Did you pick up any of these? Let me know how you liked yours in the comments!